Ever since we were young, summer has been synonymous with lightness, joy and fun. As adults, it’s also the ideal time to recharge our batteries and get away from it all, in a context where we really enjoy ourselves. Otherwise, as the months go by… as the years go by… we finally realize that, with our hectic pace of daily life, we can’t find the time or energy to stop and reflect. Yet this space for reflection is a catalyst for becoming aware of important aspects of our lives and making decisions that will make us happier and lighter-hearted.
Do you know the expression “GOLDEN HANDCUFFS”?
It refers to the advantages offered by the company that compel us to stay for fear of losing our comfort. Standard of living, social status, fringe benefits, number of weeks’ vacation, etc. Everything is designed by the employer to encourage us to stay as long as possible. However, this reassuring and seductive environment can reach its breaking point, when sacrificing our happiness to preserve our security is no longer worth it.
It’s at this very moment that you need to answer these fundamental questions:
- What really makes me happy in my job?
- Do I feel supported and encouraged in my professional development within this company?
- Do I have the opportunity to have a good work-life balance working here?
- Do I feel valued and recognized for my work and contributions within the team?
- How do I see myself in this company in the coming years?
- Do I feel aligned with the company’s vision, values, and long-term goals?
- Am I using many of my natural talents?
- What about you? Do you feel handcuffed?
- Are you in a company for fear of change or failure? Out of concern for social appearance (in answer to the famous question: what do you do for a living?)?
- How often do you feel that niggling feeling in the pit of your stomach, or the Sunday night blues?
- What do you prioritize, and what sacrifices does that entail?
The fear of facing these questions, and the energy that a potential career change may require, often leads to inaction and frustration, both for you and for those around you.
Why wait to hit rock bottom? The summer season is the perfect time to treat yourself to the gift of choosing to be in the right place professionally, and to move towards what you really want: a life in your own image, in tune with your unique talents and needs.